How to set goals for 2021 and achieve them
After a year that we will never forget, it’s time to set goals for 2021 and focus on how to achieve them. It’s about reimagining the way you operate your business, getting clear on what you want to achieve, and how that fits in with your lifestyle and personal goals too.
Learning how to set goals for 2021, by thinking smarter, not harder comes down to a few key ingredients. Having a clear plan of attack will have you well on your way to achieving the success you’re aiming for.
Why does goal setting in 2021 need to be different?
If there’s one thing that 2020 has taught us, it’s that there’s no one size fits all approach to doing business. The ability to adapt, be flexible and focus on what your customers really want has become the core essence of thriving this year.
And setting your goals for 2021 is no different. As this McKinsey article suggests, you need to get clarity on three core questions to help you reimagine the way you operate your business and to help you when you set your goals for the year ahead.
- Who are you? Does your business have a compelling, standout presence that attracts and inspires your team, your customers/clients and business partners? Do you live your business values? Have you developed a team culture that people are drawn to?
- How do you operate? Do you promote flexibility and positivity? Does your business value and encourage teamwork and the sharing of ideas? Can your people make decisions and keep the business moving without creating bottlenecks with all decisions needing to be made at the top?
- How do you grow? Do your business leverage technology and the ability to automate or streamline different areas of your business? Do you encourage your team to continue to learn, to question and to look for ways to innovate?
7 critical insights to set your goals for 2021
If you’re ready to set your goals for 2021, then here are 7 critical insights to help you to do it confidently, set the foundations and help you to achieve the goals you set for the year ahead.
- Don’t waste a crisis. Now is the time to grab hold of emerging opportunities that have resulted from the global pandemic. Listen to what your customers are saying, what they need and how you can best serve and help them.
- Ensure your vision is realistic. Despite it still being a time of high uncertainty, clarity on your vision is now critical. Stay true to your ideals and what is most important to your business, ensuring that you remain optimistic yet realistic in your goals.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel. While it might be tempting to try to reinvent lots of things in your business, it is far more effective to reach out for assistance to build capabilities in your business. By injecting the right pre-built resources and having access to experienced support, you can achieve things faster and more efficiently than doing it on your own. Your Business Momentum is here to assist.
- Focus on your customers. It’s important to listen closely to the needs of your target customers. How have their needs changed in 2020 in ways they never had before? Take the time to ask them what they need, rather than making assumptions.
Related Content: Discover the key external and internal factors that will shape your business strategy.
- Demonstrate your capability. In order to cut through the marketing clutter within your industry, it is important that you demonstrate your capability. By delivering a great customer experience, it will showcase what you and your team are capable of and provide assurance to your customers.
- Don’t take a cookie-cutter approach. You don’t want to be the same as everyone else. When you set your goals, aspire to be a thought leader, dare to be different and tailor what you offer your customers to suit your vision.
- Embrace and leverage technology. With technology and software continuing to develop at a fast pace, it is important that you incorporate a blend of delivery mediums (online and face-to-face) as you develop your goals. How can you reduce the time needed to support your customers, but still provide them with real value? Consider how you can be more agile, and where you can inject virtual support, cashless payments, online training and more into your business offering.
Get help to set goals that you will achieve
Setting your goals can be the easy part. But setting goals that you will actually achieve is the area where most people and businesses fall down. Take the time to develop a sense of clarity and direction for where you want your business to be placed. Set goals for 2021 that will help you to gain business momentum.
If you are short on time or would benefit from some additional support, the team here at Your Business Momentum can help you facilitate goal setting for you and your business.
We will help you to transition into a stable operating environment for your business where you can:
explore new opportunities and innovations as we tread the new normal
focus on recovering lost business and evolving into potential new product/ service areas
focus on becoming a leaner, more evolved business post the pandemic where this is an opportunity to make major changes to the way you do business (and the people if required).
If you’re ready to set your goals for 2021, then please get in touch with our experienced business coaches. If you’re looking to save time, money and be guided through the goal-setting process with a plan, then it’s the best thing you can do for your business as you plan for the future.