Good planning shapes good decisions. This is why most organisations use this time of year to plan and prepare for the year ahead, distilling their dreams and goals into actionable items.
In this blog, we aim not only to challenge your game plan and determine your competitive edge, but also to help you analyse your organisation’s current position and use this analysis to gain a strategic advantage in the year ahead. You can achieve a successful 2013 plan for your business by having a better grasp of the rules of the game.
Have you established your game plan yet? Mindshop has shared these 10 questions to help you challenge your plans and implement a strategy that will take your business to the next level.
- Do you have a clear competitive advantage? Will it stand up in the current market?
Developing your business’ competitive advantage would not only help you outlast the competition, but also help you to sustain your business growth.
- Has your current year’s strategy delivered the results you were seeking? If so what are the lessons learned? If not what do you need to change?
At some point, we get frustrated when we are not getting the results we want. Admitting our mistakes is the first step to change. Learn from them and take the opportunity to make things better from now on.
- Is your vision clear and documented?
Creating a vision involves considering your strategic focus, your competitive advantage and your current capabilities. Ensure that these are well documented and mutually shared with the people in your organisation.
- What are your top 3 focuses for this year?
Having a focus on your game plan can help you create a clear direction for reaching your goals. Identify the top 3 focuses that will drive your business to give you a competitive edge in the market.
- What is your overall theme for the business for this year? i.e. profit, expansion, quality improvement.
Having a theme for your plans for the next 12 months can help motivate your team and importantly yourself on what’s essential to drive strategies and actions. Themes can include such topics as: Innovation, Growth, Efficiency, Profit, Consolidation.
- How will you hold yourself and your team accountable and guarantee implementation of the new strategies?
Accountability begins with a commitment to track measurable outcomes. It cultivates a sense of personal investment and engagement with every person involved in making the agreed strategic objectives a reality.
- Have you addressed in your plans the blockages that could prevent you from achieving your goals?
Pinpoint the things that could stop you from achieving your goals. What are your plans to remove or limit the internal and external obstacles to your business achieving success?
- 8.What will your new innovations be for your products / services?
What would make this year a mind-blowing success for your business? Your ability to innovate could be the key to unlimited success for your business in the years to come.
- Where are the bright spots within your business to focus on, learn from and leverage?
What areas of your business are working really well? Can you improve on these areas to increase profitability and ensure business growth?
- How will you ‘evolve’ your products / services to address the issues being faced by your target market? What are their needs?
As market demand shifts over time, there is a need to adapt your business and sometimes change the way you do business. How prepared are you to address what the market needs and what are you prepared to do to meet that challenge?
Take a few minutes and think about these ten questions and consider your game plan for this year. Should you need assistance, please don’t hesitate to drop us an email or use the comments section below.